Monday, January 31, 2011

Response to Birds of America


January 31, 2011

Short stories are not my strong suit.  In fact writing a feasible plot is almost too daunting and I’ve only ever written maybe two in my life.  However, I always find it refreshing to read an interesting short story that doesn’t necessarily have to have a moral message or too heavy a symbol.  Moore’s stories are touching and from what I read they have a happy or bittersweet punch-line ending.  What I like most and what I most connect with is Moore’s simple yet powerful characterization.  There were moments reading these stories where she would throw in a small sentence that would add so much depth to the story.  It’s something I have always admired and wished to be able to accomplish in my own writing.  Also, her characters are so synced with each other! So clever and witty!  I have always felt that I could never be that witty but I don’t think I have ever given it much of a shot.  Something else that I found admirable of Moore’s stories is that they are contained.  They are for the most part one family, one instance, one problem.  Granted, I know that’s what’s expected of a short story but Moore does it exceptionally.  Best example of this I can remember is “Charades” when the whole family is celebrating Christmas by playing a game of charades.  The dynamics between these family members is fascinating and reminded me of my own family and our own deep issues.  These nuances are what I want to be able to create in a short story.  I feel as if they drive the story and the characters and really make a short story interesting.  It was only these nuances that made a simple (yet frustrating) game of charades all the more powerful and meaningful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment