Thursday, March 10, 2011

Shurin

I'm going to post this anyway even though it is very much affected by tonight's conversations regarding the book and Shurin's style.  I must say that, at first, I was not that into Shurin's use of language.  Scratch that.  I wasn't a huge fan of his syntax.  His language was beautiful--his syntax complicated. I think it was the complex syntax that made me scrunch my nose at him.  After talking in class, though, I realize that this is his style, just like simple sentences are mine.  Like everyone else I was shocked and awed by his brutal honesty and succinct language/descriptions.  One that comes to mind is the hilarious comparison of the football player's face to a penis.  Daring!  It's a subtle hilarity that he weaves into his sentences.  I think what I would want most to take away from Shurin is his ability to remove himself from the situations he is writing and his way of weaving such elegant descriptions.

No comments:

Post a Comment