Wednesday, October 5, 2011

A New Poem and a New Post

"September and October Light"

The sun beats Halloween orange--
sliding behind the clouds
down the sky.
The city is black and unlit
untouched by pulsing sky.
It darkens and is ocean-empty.

Wet, sickly leaves stain the porch--
nauseous brown shadows.
Just gray, damp, slick and brown.
It never blends--just becomes.

There is infinite September light
between us.  Warm and listless
it hovers.
We can feel its heat stagnate the air.
That's September.  That's the sun growing tired--
bursting into orange--igniting
space between the clouds, the city, you and I.

Brown-specked yellow leaves
appear in the morning.  Never orange.
They become the pavement.
There is a little light
glinting in the beads on the gray porch.
September waves from
the leaf stains.
Too bright.  Infinitely between us.


October light glides in the
fog.  In the veins of leaves.
It bursts into orange.
Illuminating the gray
filling the space between
the leaves, the clouds, the sky,
you and I.
~~~

This poem was inspired by the poet Richard Siken's collection Crush.  The book was given to me by a friend for my birthday which was this past Saturday.  I devoured every poem.  His images are so powerful and poignant.  Exactly the kind of poetry I love--the kind that frustrates, teases, and awes.  Siken manages to string together images so well that you have no choice but to follow their siren call.  I love the fact that he keeps returning to certain images in his poem, changing it slightly and therefore there's meaning in the change.  With this poem I wanted to emulate his style.  It also gave me an opportunity to use a line I had dreamed a few weeks ago: "There is infinite September light between us."  I woke up and there it was and at first I had no idea how I could use it.  Then, after reading Siken, who uses light a few times, and after seeing a gorgeous sunset from my class at SSU I knew I could use it.


In other news: it seems like my near-incoherent rant last time bore no fruit.  I have not maintained this blog as I had meant.  Which is unfortunate.  Though I think I have become more inwardly reflective.  When I had Livejournal it was a space for me to get my thoughts out.  Through that vomit I gleaned meaning.  Now, I've noticed that talking is what does it for me--the actual verbal communication with people is what helps me process the day.  Or I sit and reflect inwardly--not on paper or keyboard.  Thoughts for me to chew on until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment